Male To Female (MTF) Facial Feminization Surgery
Although we may not always be able to detect exactly why, it is easy to discern a woman’s face from that of a man. Facial Feminization Surgery, or FFS, is performed to alter the face’s appearance and features from masculine to feminine. William E. Silver, MD, FACS, at the Silver Plastic Surgery Center in Atlanta, GA, offers a group of facial plastic surgeries that make your features smaller, softer, and less angled to provide a more feminine appearance.
During the initial consultation, Dr. Silver will listen to the patient’s needs, concerns, and goals before assessing the face and deciding which procedures will best suit their unique facial feminization surgery. The patient’s natural face will determine the number of specific procedures needed to reach the patient’s best result.
The Facial Feminization Surgery Procedures
The procedures we offer as part of facial feminization surgery include:
- Adam’s apple reduction, or laryngeal shave
- Brow lift
- Cheek augmentation
- Chin recontouring
- Forehead recontouring or hairline correction
- Jaw contouring
- Lip lift and reshaping
Surgical Procedures Detailed
- The Adam’s apple reduction, or laryngeal shave, removes thyroid cartilage from the neck to reduce or eliminate the Adam’s apple.
- The Brow lift, or browplasty, raises and/or reshapes the eyebrows so they are higher on the face and have a clear, arched shape.
- A Cheek augmentation: The mid-face can be made fuller with implants or a fat transfer that increases the projection of the cheeks. A cheek reduction can improve cheeks that are too wide or strong.
- Chin recontouring: A genioplasty or mentoplasty reduces the width and height of the chin while rounding the shape
- Forehead recontouring/reduction: A feminine hairline tends to be lower, so a forehead reduction moves the hairline to create a shorter forehead
- Jaw contouring: For a more feminine jawline, the jawbone is shaved to make the jaw narrower, shorter, and rounder.
- Lip lift and reshaping: To adjust the size and proportion of the upper and lower lips to appear more feminine, the upper lip isreduced and moved higher while the fullness of the lower lip is increased with an implant or fat transfer.
- Rhinoplasty: To make a more feminine nose, the length, width, and projection are reduced to best fit the proportions of the patient’s face.
Facial feminization surgery can be performed under general or local anesthesia. Before the patient goes home, we will schedule follow-up appointments and go over aftercare and recovery instructions, including when the patient can return to work and exercise.
All surgeries require incisions that can leave scars, but for facial feminization, Dr. Silver will use minimal incisions that are placed in easily concealed or camouflaged areas of the face. He will also help the patient develop and follow a scar management plan that will ensure the surgical incisions heal quickly and flat.
To improve healing after facial surgery, patients should hold ice packs to their face for a few minutes several times each day. Patients are encouraged to keep their head elevated as much as possible. Be sure to attend the follow-up appointments to enable Dr. Silver to check the healing progress.
Each patient is unique; therefore, results of treatment may vary.
To determine if FFS is right for you schedule a consultation with Dr. Silver at the Silver Plastic Surgery Center. Our office serves patients from all over Metro Atlanta including the surrounding areas of Marietta, Alpharetta, Roswell, East Cobb, Sandy Springs, Buckhead, and Dunwoody.