Female to Male (FTM) Facial Masculinization Surgery
Facial Masculinization Surgery, or FMS, is performed to alter the face’s appearance and features from feminine to masculine. The ideal male face is chiseled, masculine, and well-defined. FMS masculinizes facial features, particularly for trans men who feel they didn’t get enough masculinization from Testosterone. The surgery provides a permanent facial feature solution. Because the face offers important clues to the outside world about one’s personality and gender identity, obtaining a more masculine facial appearance is an important treatment goal for many trans men. William E. Silver, MD, FACS, at the Silver Plastic Surgery Center in Atlanta, GA, offers a group of facial plastic surgeries that helps transgender patients realize their treatment goals.
During the initial consultation, Dr. Silver will listen to the patient’s needs, concerns, and goals before assessing the face and deciding which procedures will best suit their unique facial feminization surgery. The patient’s natural face will determine the number of unique procedures needed to reach the patient’s best result.
Facial Masculinization Surgery includes:
- Forehead Lengthening & Augmentation
- Cheek Augmentation
- Chin Recontouring
- Jaw Contouring
- Adam’s Apple Augmentation
Facial Masculinization Surgery can help give you a feeling of completeness and align your male identity with the face you show to the world.
Surgical Procedures Detailed
- Forehead Lengthening/Augmentation: Because female foreheads are typically shorter, lengthening the forehead by increasing the distance between the eyebrows and hairline can create a more masculine appearance. Additionally, forehead augmentation can create a larger, more angular forehead.
- Cheek Augmentation: During cheek augmentation, implants are placed in between the bone and the skin to create a more angular and masculine shape.
- Rhinoplasty: With rhinoplasty (“nose job”) performed during FMS, the goal is to create a larger and/or wider nose or increase the nasal projection.
- Chin Recontouring: Because male chins tend to be longer and squarer, the goal of chin recontouring is to increase the size of the chin for a more angular appearance.
- Jaw Contouring: Jaw contouring creates masculine facial proportions, increases the overall width of the face, and provides definition between the lower face and neck.
- Adam’s Apple Augmentation: The “Adam’s Apple”, a prominent notch in the thyroid cartilage, is one of the most visible differences between the male and female visage. With thyroid cartilage enhancement, a small incision is made below the chin and an implant is placed in the throat area. The neck muscles are then closed over the implant in order to protect the vocal cords.
Facial masculinization surgery can be performed under general or local anesthesia. Before the patient goes home, we will schedule follow-up appointments and go over aftercare and recovery instructions, including when the patient can return to work and exercise.
All surgeries require incisions that can leave scars, but for facial masculinization, Dr. Silver will use minimal incisions that are placed in easily concealed or camouflaged areas of the face. He will also help the patient develop and follow a scar management plan that will ensure the surgical incisions heal quickly and flat.
To improve healing after facial surgery, patients should hold ice packs to their face for a few minutes several times each day. Patients are encouraged to keep their head elevated as much as possible. Be sure to attend the follow-up appointments to enable Dr. Silver to check the healing progress.
Each patient is unique; therefore, results of treatment may vary.
To determine if FMS is right for you contact us for a consultation with Dr. Silver at the Silver Plastic Surgery Center. Our office serves patients from all over Metro Atlanta including the surrounding areas of Marietta, Alpharetta, Roswell, East Cobb, Sandy Springs, Buckhead, and Dunwoody.